Master these SDE skills to get running at Tesco
Tesco houses one of the most exciting technology communities in the retail world. If you are someone who has a curiosity and passion to learn new things, you will fit right in at our awesome work environment. Our team of experts build cutting edge products that enrich the shopping experience for millions of Tesco customers. We also innovate to find new ways that make work simpler and more productive for thousands of our colleagues.
Before you launch career with us, here are a few basic skills that you should aspire to master to get running at Tesco.
1. Learn patterns. New tools or languages or frameworks come and go, but majority use similar patterns. Master one and you can learn the rest as a hobby or on the job. https://sizovs.net/2018/12/17/stop-learning-frameworks/ talks about this meta topic of learning patterns and not be hung up on the next cool thing.
2. Master the basics - Programming language - Learn one general purpose programming language, say Java or .Net or Scala and become adept at it. For eg,https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/effective-javatm-programming/0201310058/ should help you master and write idiomatic Java
3. Coding craftmanship - Learn the craft of coding, refactoring etc. Code complete and Clean code are two good books to learn them. If you're impatient, search for summary of these books and you'll find someone has already summarized the 800+ pages content in under 40-50 pages
4. Testing - Learn to use test driven development, but don't be a religious about it. https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/test-driven-development/0321146530/is a good book to learn TDD and tests in general.
5. Leadership - Learn to be a leader. Everyone is respected for the perspective and logic they bring to the table. You'd be at an advantage if you can hone your leadership skills sooner rather than wait for age and experience to catch up https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/the-pragmatic-programmer/020161622X/ is a good book which talks about some of the Dos and Donts
6. Design - Learn to architect a problem across components or services and also model them correctly. https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/designing-data-intensive-applications/9781491903063/ is a good book which covers the different types of problems and the ways to architect and model the solution for those problems
7. There are a lot more skills, both technical and non-technical for you to master but the above list should be a good enough start.